As you all know I’m getting married next year and I refuse to buy an expensive wedding dress because I’m cheap.. and a budget traveller…
In Australia, I was looking around 1000 AUD for a simple dress and was thinking.. do I need to spend that much on a dress for just 1 day? Thought about it for a while… but it just kills me how much wedding can cost nowadays and how commercialised it is! But when you seek you shall find! Good quality affordable dresses do exist!!
My mother asked around and everyone told her, “Go to Guangzhou for wedding dresses!”. And so I did and found Jiangnan Avenue North (江南大道北). This whole street is wedding paradise! You can find all your wedding needs! I’m talking about wedding gowns, evening gowns, cocktail, accessories, make-up, grooms wear, children wear, wedding decoration, shoes, bedsheets and traditional Chinese wedding dress.
There are so many competition, it’s easy to find a bargin. Average dress range from 600 – 3000 RMB! I bought my dress for 780 RMB (approx. 118.17 AUD). Of course there was haggling involved. It is possible to get a dress in 1 day but best to give a month if you need big adjustment or custom-made dresses (push them or pay them more and they’ll surely get your dress delivered to you asap!).
Language barriers exist so I suggest bringing photos of dresses or bring a Chinese speaking person. Some stores can speak English such as Knightly.
I made my fiance take photos because he’s not Chinese and he’ll look more like a tourist than me! haha.
How to get there:
- Subway – The 2nd Workers’ Cultural Palace (Line 2)
- Buses – Take buses that stops at 江南大道北路 (Jiangnan dadao bei lu)
- My Thailand Destination Wedding see my beautiful wedding at Nora Buri Resorts & Spa in Koh Samui, Thailand! You can see the dress I’m talking about 😉
- Last Minute Shopping in Bangkok where I bought the cute elephant toys in bulk and wedding shoes, pants and bridesmaid dresses!
- My Thailand Wedding Research I’ve research extensively for my wedding and hope it’ll be a helpful to you for a Thailand Wedding!